Exhibitors at 2012 Show Included:
His Majesty's 22nd Regiment of Foot is a Living History group focussing on the life and times of the ordinary British Soldier during the American Revolutionary War 1775-1783. This often overlooked period of British History saw the beginnings of what would later become known as the British Empire and the creation of a new nation, the United States of America.
We represent a Section of the Colonel's Company of the 22nd Regiment of Foot as it would have appeared in the year 1776. At that time the 22nd Foot was garrisoned in New York (then a Loyalist or 'Tory' city strongly opposed to independence from Great Britain).
Military Vehicle Section
Fancy a Hobby that is not the run of the mill, fed up with stamp collecting, bored with bowling?
How about taking up collecting and restoring Historic Military Vehicles, yes it is legal to own them including tanks !
Collecting and restoring Historic Military Vehicles as a Hobby really started to take root shortly after the end of World War 2. This coincided with tens of thousands of ex-servicemen returning home from fighting in Europe and the Far East who had been introduced to mechanical vehicles of all types and taught how to drive, crew, maintain and fight in them.
These men and women came to form a bond with the vehicles they used every day and became quite attached to them in some cases.
At the end of the war the armies of England and America had a vast amount of war surplus vehicles of all types which were now not needed as the war was over. Some of these vehicles were destroyed, even if they were brand new, as it was too expensive to ship them back to their country of origin. Others were given to friendly countries that had been liberated from the Axis powers to help them build up their new defence forces. But the vast majority of these vehicles were sold off to civilians in their country of origin, America, England, Canada etc.
In these countries civilian cars and Lorries and agricultural vehicles were in very short supply as their production lines had been turned over to the war effort to make trucks and tanks etc. So the War Office in England decided to sell off these surplus Military Vehicles to the general public to reduce the vast surplus now held of them and to generate some income for a government which after six years of war was broke.
These vehicles had their guns removed or deactivated before sale and were advertised to the general public for disposal. Earth moving and construction equipment was bought up by the construction industry to rebuild the country which was ravaged by the Luftwaffe. Tanks were bought by farmers to use as tractors, they also bought Lorries and the jeep to use on the farms.
Lorries were purchased to be used by haulage companies, staff cars and jeeps were bought by people who needed transport for work or leisure. A Willys jeep purchased from the war dept. in 1950 for £5.00 today is worth over £10,000.00. Sadly all these vehicles did not survive the post war years they were used and abused until they fell apart and were then replaced by purely civilian vehicles whose factories had by now re started production of what they used to make before the war started.
There are several clubs in the U.K. and internationally whose members collect and restore these Historic Vehicles as a piece of history from World War 1, World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts. These vehicles stand testimony to the bravery of the men who went to war in them.
All the Military Vehicles on display here at the Birkenhead Park Festival of Transport are privately owned and restored to a high degree. Please feel free to look at them and ask any questions you may have of their owners. If you are a Veteran and drove, crewed or worked on any of the types displayed please make yourself known to the owner who would love to talk to you about their vehicle, you never know you might have even driven it when it was in service ?
Military Vehicle section Organiser.
The Aeroplane Collection (TAC)
TAC, is an organisation dedicated to the provision of aircraft and aviation orientated artefacts. We operate out of Hooton Park with the old 1917 Belfast hangars. Below is attached a photograph of our resent display at the runway viewing area at Manchester airport. We would envisage a similar set out at Birkenhead park.
The club was started in 1981 with the view of promoting the hobby in the Wirral.
We rent the use of half the ornamental lake in Ashton Park, West Kirby and we are subject to speed and time restrictions. However, these are far outweighed by the sheltered setting in amongst the mature trees and between the Bowling Green and the children’s play area.
Due to the nature of the lake we do not allow internal combustion engine powered boats or any that would pollute the water.
We sail vessels from across the full spectrum of kit and scratch built models from 575 and fairwind yachts, launches and pleasure cruisers, warships, merchant ships and tugs.
Around twenty competitions per year are held on the lake, with only one being restricted to members only, many of the others attracting competitors from throughout the north of England. We hold two regular fun days in support of the Friends of Ashton Park and support local charities with our static and Have A Go displays.
Even with this level of competition there is plenty of time for free sailing and most weekends in reasonable weather, members will be seen taking advantage of the beautiful setting.There are toilets close by and the Sunday tea shop for that relaxing cup of tea or coffee and a biscuit.
If you are tempted, with or without a boat, pop down and see us; you are sure of a warm welcome and a good day out.
Carl Wynn Punch and Judy man
The Bamford family established the Pony Sanctuary in 1984. The sanctuary was then named 'Badger's Memorial Pony Sanctuary' after their much loved first rescue pony Badger.
Since 1984, the sanctuary has grown steadily and currently has responsibility for the care of 36 horses and ponies. It still remains a family run sanctuary, aided by a group of friends and much needed volunteers.
In 1997 a plot of land in Parkgate was donated by a sponsor, which has now become the main base for people to come and meet our ponies. In November 1998 the sanctuary changed its name to 'The Parkgate Pony Sanctuary'.
The sanctuary continues to exist purely by financial support from the public through sponsorships, donations, adoptions, fund-raising events and time given by volunteers.
THE AIMS OF THE SANCTUARY
1)To monitor the health and care of horses/ponies in the Wirral area. To help and advise owners where necessary.
2)To find suitable retirement for old, young, the not so pretty or athletic, disabled horses/ponies in the Wirral area. Enabling them to enjoy their latter years.
3) Once a horse/pony comes into the Sanctuary, IT WILL NOT BE SOLD ON but a caring home can be found, and constantly monitored by the Sanctuary’s Trustees or agents.
4)To enable children and adults, not able to own a horse/pony, to enjoy the love and companionship an equine can give.
5)To introduce the basics of riding, horsemanship, stable management and general care of horses/ponies.
6)To enable the disabled to enjoy driving and travelling in our horse/pony drawn vehicles.
7)To give talks and slide shows (free of charge to help raise the profile of the Sanctuary).
8)To give Sanctuary assistance to any animal or bird, be it wild or tame.
Guide Dogs Aiding Mobility for 2,000 Years !
The first special relationship between a dog and a Blind person is lost in the mists of time, but the earliest known example is depicted in a first century A.D. Roman mural found in Herculaneum.
From the middle ages too, a wooden plaque survives depicting a dog leading a blind man with a leash.
However the first systematic attempt to train dogs to aid Blind people came in 1780 at a hospital for the Blind in Paris.
However the modern Guide Dog story starts during World War 1 when thousands of soldiers were returning home from the trench's having been blinded by poison gas and shell fire. A German Doctor, Dr Gerhard Stalling had the idea of training dogs on masse to help those blinded. And in august 1916 he opened the worlds first guide dog training school in Oldenburg Germany training up to 600 guide dogs a year.
Sadly the venture had to close in 1926, but another larger training centre opened in Potsdam Berlin.
Around this time a wealthy American woman called Dorothy Harrison Eustis was already successfully training working dogs in Switzerland. She heard of the Potsdam guide dog training centre and spent several months there studying their training methods, she was so impressed with them that she wrote an article about it for the Saturday evening post in America in November 1927. She was so impressed by what she saw that in 1928 she set up her own guide dog training school in Switzerland and later opened one in America which she called “The Seeing Eye”.
In 1930 two British women, Muriel Cooke and Rosamund Bond heard about the Seeing Eye dogs of America and contacted Dorothy Eustis and asked her to send over one of her guide dog trainers to train up English dogs. The dog trainer was given a lock up garage at the Cliff in New Brighton by Wallasey council to use as a training base for training the dogs and there new owners. In 1931 the very first four British Guide Dogs completed their training at the Cliff and three years later the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association was founded.
The Cliff in New Brighton 1931
first four Guide Dogs trained in u.k.
In 1932 Mrs Eustis sent over a permanent dog trainer Captain Nicolai liakhoff MBE a former officer of the Russian imperial guard who left Russia after the Bolshevik take over of his native country. He was to play a key role in the future training methods of Guide Dogs adopted through out the world. He played many key roles in Guide Dogs right up to his death in 1962.
A Guide Dog working
A Guide Dog working
Twelve week old
Puppies learning to walk in a straight line !
Puppies learning to walk in a straight line !
In 1956 Guide Dogs recruited Volunteers to become Puppy Walkers. We bring the pups up from 7 weeks old till they are 12 to 14 months of age and train them in basic commands as well as socialising them and exposing them to as many new experiences as possible in preparation for them going to a regional Guide Dog training school to be trained as a Guide Dog.
In 1970 Guide Dogs opened their own dedicated breeding centre at Tollgate House near Leamington spar where Guide Dogs selectively breeds all its Guide Dogs today. In 1965 the work of Guide Dogs was brought to the attention of the public when Blue Peter followed Guide Dog puppy Honey through her training. And again in the mid eighties with Goldie and her pups, and again in 2006 with puppy Magic.
Since its beginning in the U.K. in 1931 here at New Brighton, Guide Dogs work has expanded dramatically making it now the Worlds leader in the breeding and training of Guide Dogs. There are now around 4,700
Working Guide Dogs in the U.K. each dog costs £50,000 from birth till it retires to train, feed, vet fees and support. Guide Dogs has never received any Government funding for carrying out this vital work. Money is raised from the general public via street collections, selling Guide Dog merchandise at local shows and School fairs, and counter top collection boxes in shops and super markets.
A year old Guide Dog Puppy
ready to go to Atherton training school.
ready to go to Atherton training school.
At Guide Dogs we,ll make sure he never has to "walk alone!"
Here on the Wirral there are three Branch's of Guide Dogs, Heswall, Wallasey and West Kirby. If you would like to help out at any of these Branch's please contact the Heswall Branch of Guide Dogs Secretary by email at [email protected] or ring him on 0151/678/1942.
If you would like to know more about the work of Guide Dogs locally or Nationally please look at our website www.guidedogs.org.uk
Please come and visit us at our stand at the show and see our puppies and working dogs and buy a souvenir to help support our work here on the Wirral. We are always looking for volunteers to help out at Branch events please talk to us if you are interested in helping out.
H&M Dog Display Team
The H&M dog display team was formed in 1984 and has become one of the most popular dog teams in the country. The team is lead by Jean Tyrell who is a member of the British Institute of Professional Dog Trainers and has been with the team since 1989.
They have performed at hundreds of shows ranging from small schools and charity events right through to large shows such as the St Helens Festival, Southport Flower Show and the Glasgow Show.
They have appeared several times on local television and live on Channel 4's Big Breakfast and It's Me Or The Dog. The team have also performed their specialist security routines at the Manchester Military Tatoo.
Their biggest accolade was being invited by the Kennel Club to perform at the world famous Crufts Dog Show, not once but 5 times.